New counselor will start Jan. 6

Brandes will serve as replacement to Knaus

Mrs. Beth Brandes will join the Irish family on Jan. 6, her first day as a counselor.

Mrs. Beth Brandes will join the counseling department on Jan. 6 as a counselor. 

This change comes after Mr. Terry Knaus announced his resignation this past October. In an email to the school, Knaus wrote, “I’ve accepted a position with a national independent college counseling organization and will serve as its executive director.  It’s an exciting opportunity for me professionally and one that I couldn’t pass up.” 

Until his final day on Nov. 1 Knaus worked hard meeting with students, writing recommendation letters, sending out transcripts, and helping however he could with college searches. 

Mr. Duane Emery (A-E) and Ms. Kathy Pivonka (F-G) split Knaus’s students once he left and will continue doing so throughout the rest of first semester until Brandes can step in.

When asked how she feels about transitioning from Guerin Catholic to Cathedral in the middle of the school year, Brandes said, “It’s a step I look forward to taking. Coming from a Catholic school setting will definitely make this transition easier. Additionally, I know there are many great students, families, faculty and staff members at Cathedral that will make this next professional step extremely rewarding.”

Currently she is at Guerin Catholic where she is in her third year as director of guidance and college counseling and has been a part of the department there since 2006. Brandes attended St. Joseph’s College in Rensselaer, Indiana where she earned her bachelors degree in education, and Butler University, where she earned her masters degree in school counseling.

According to Emery, in an email to the school, “(Brandes) brings a wealth of experience and expertise in counseling students relative in college and academic career and social/emotional wellness.”

Likewise, she is a member of a wealth of committees all over Indiana including NCAA National High School Advisory Committee and Westfield Wellbeing Coalition Committee. With the NCAA she has assisted various Indianapolis-area high schools and club sports teams with the NCAA eligibility clearinghouse process, and as a member of the Westfield Wellbeing Coalition Committee she has helped bring together various community members to create social-emotional awareness, advocacy and access for all age groups in Westfield.

Brandes said, “Truly, I am energized and excited about joining the Cathedral school team as a member of the college counseling department and getting to know the many wonderful students, families, faculty and staff associated with such a strong school legacy.”

In order to allow students and families to get to know her, the counseling department will host a “Meet Mrs. Brandes” event from 7 to 9 a.m. on Dec. 11 in the counseling center in Kelly Hall. There is no RSVP necessary. The counseling department hopes students will take this opportunity to meet her.