Irish welcome two transfers who will join the Fuel

Hockey players move in from Pittsburgh and Buffalo

Gracie Carr

Junior Jake Kazan, far right, takes notes during Mr. Howard Fogel’s E period chemistry class.

Senior Gideon Sullivan and junior Jake Kazan are new members of the Cathedral family.

Both are here on contract for the AAA 18U Indy Fuel. Sullivan is coming here from Buffalo. He said, “I was excited for the move. It will be a great opportunity for my future.”

Kazan, on the other hand, hails from Pittsburgh, and he kept it simple, saying, “I am just ready to play hockey and become a great player.”

Both have plans to continue playing hockey after high school. Kazan is attempting to secure a Division 1 offer to play in college, and Sullivan said he is going to continue playing junior hockey.

There were few other options regarding schooling for them. “Public schools wouldn’t accept us and online schooling wasn’t an option for me,” Sullivan said.

Kazan had more than good words for Cathedral, referring to it as “athletically and educationally dominant.”

Both are on one-year contracts with the 18U Indy Fuel, but due to their contracts they will not be allowed to play for the Central Indiana Knights, the local high school team that students from here are a part of.

Both said they are ecstatic for the school year and are ready for the season to start and hope for a successful season.

They did have one thing to say to the student body, though. Kazan said, “We would like students to come and show their support for the Fuel.”

Games are played at the Fuel Tank in Fishers on Fridays through Mondays and game times will vary, but all games, venues and times can be found on the 18U Fuel website.

Both Sullivan and Kazan are living this year with the Marraccini family in Carmel.

Editor’s note: Mr. Jimmy Mullin, graduate of Miami University and the 118th pick in the 2010 NHL, was contacted via email with questions but did not respond.