Annual dance marathon scheduled for March 23

Event will benefit Riley kids, take place in Mimms Gym

Photo submitted

The annual Riley dance marathon will take place March 23 in the Mimms Gymnasium.

The school will host its annual Riley Dance Marathon in the newly named Mimms Gym on March 23.

Started in 1991 at Indiana University as a way to raise money for Riley patient Ryan White, there are more than 60 high schools and collegiate programs across the state that host these fundraisers annually.

Junior Katie Rushka, one of the event organizers, said, “The money raised benefits pediatric research, patient care and family support programs for Riley Children’s Foundation. The night of the dance we will hear personal experiences from Riley patients and families, as well as enjoy dancing and watching March Madness with friends.”

Rushka and the other students who work to organize the dance are a part of the Riley Dance Marathon Club. She said, “I am very enthusiastic about supporting Riley for multiple reasons. I personally am a Riley kid and my mom has worked for Riley Hospital for as long as I have been alive. One of my career aspirations is to become a pediatric nurse, and this club is a great way to get involved.”

Aside from attending the dance from 7 to 10 p.m.m, students looking to aid the cause can order T-shirts supporting Riley for $12. Also, a box outside Mrs. Karen Hovanec’s classroom, 3301, will be available for any students to donate gently used prom dresses, which will be used to support Riley’s annual prom. Any donations will be greatly appreciated, and students are encouraged to come to the marathon with friends and be ready to dance.