Lanyard policy mostly successful, administrator says

Vice principal provides advice for not losing your lanyard

Angel Luo

Lose your lanyard? Then you wear a red lanyard for the day.

As the first quarter ended last week, along with the first nine weeks of students, faculty and staff being required to wear lanyards, the administration says that the lanyard policy and procedures have, for the most part, been a success.

As the school year started, students’ lives with lanyards also began. For safety purposes, students and faculty members were required to wear lanyards daily to be identified as an official member of the Irish family.

Different colors were assigned to each group: yellow for freshmen, orange for sophomores, green for juniors, navy for seniors and gray for faculty members. Red lanyards are also provided for students who don’t have their lanyards for the day.

The appearance of red lanyards, the somewhat Scarlet Letter-type sign that the wearer has lost his or her original lanyard, has recently increased. Through Oct. 1, 314 students, of an enrollment of a little more than 1,100, have already lost their lanyards at least once, four being the number of lost lanyards by an individual topping the list, according to Mr. Jere Kubuske, vice principal of student affairs.

At the meantime, Kubuske has noticed another issue since lanyards have joined our school life. “Unfortunately, we have had students take lanyards that they have come across and keep them for themselves or at least not turning them in, which is so disappointing at a school like Cathedral, and especially when our theme for the year is integrity,” Kubuske said.

He encouraged students to follow the rules of lanyards because they ensure their safety while bringing convenience for opening doors on campus.

Being aware of the problems students have with lanyards, Kubuske also provided some tips of keeping track of them. He said, “Don’t take them off. Leave it on until you get home. Then put it in the same spot every time. Too often students are taking them off throughout the day, even though it is required at all times during school, then they forget where they put it or its not where they put it when they go back to get it. You can’t lose it or have it taken if it is always around your neck,” Kubuske wrote in an email.

Kubuske also wanted to remind students that the price for new lanyards are $3, with $7 for each ID.

Kubuske would not confirm whether any faculty or staff member has lost his lanyard or ID so far this school year.