Spring break should reduce flu cases, nurse says

Type A version of illness resurges

Anna Pohl

School nurse Mrs. Susan Mourouzis in her office during A period on April 5.

This winter brought a flu outbreak stronger than years past, and some medical experts called it the worst flu outbreak in American history. However, although winter has left, the flu has not.

School nurse Mrs. Susan Mourouzis said strains of flu are often categorized as either Type A or Type B. “Usually, little kids are more affected and get more ill with Type B,” Mourouzis said. Typically, Type B flu appears later in the season. At first, this pattern appeared as normal, with Type A flu opening the season and type B flu following.

Now, Mourouzis said, there is another surge of Type A.

Because there are two strains of flu, it is possible but rare to be infected with the flu twice in one season, Mourouzis said. “It is a little unusual for us to have two surges,” she said.

The environment students are in only increases their risk of becoming ill. “We might see different (mutations of the flu) because we have a population from all over Indiana,” Mourouzis said. The flu is a regional virus, which means different cities might see different variations, she said.

“It’s been a bad flu season,” Mourouzis said. To stay as healthy as possible, students and teachers should clean desks, chairs and other hard surfaces, use hand sanitizer and practice good hand washing, Mourouzis said. If a student is sick, he or she should stay home. “When they’re here, they’re spreading the illness,” she said. Students with a fever are required to remain at home until the fever has been gone for 24 hours.

The upcoming break may also help students stay healthy. “They aren’t touching all the surfaces that kids are touching around school,” Mourouzis said. “It’s always better after spring break.”