Clouds break as students view solar eclipse

Rain holds off until just after B period class resumes

On the lawn outside Loretto, students recline to get the best view of the partial solar eclipse.

Updated Aug. 21 at 5:20 p.m.

The clouds broke just long enough for students, faculty and staff to view the partial solar eclipse on the afternoon of Aug. 21. With the daily class schedule adjusted for the event, eclipse viewers headed to the courtyard between 2:05 and 2:45 for the show.

Students let out a loud cheer when the clouds allowed for a clear view, and booed when clouds obstructed their glasses-aided perspective.

Twenty minutes after students returned to class, a steady downpour began.

Several students shared their reaction, and often their thoughts included the word “cool.”

To prepare for today’s eclipse, junior Brendan Hurley, who has Mr. Adam Hibshman for physics class, joined his classmates in watching a video about viewing the event safely. He said he thought the partial eclipse was “boring and uneventful.”

Hibshman and several students were not on campus during the event, but were on a field trip to Southern Illinois, an area in which they would be able to experience totality.

Sophomore Gavin Stewart said he had looked forward to the eclipse and “thought it was amazing.”

Sophomore Meredith Lackey said, “It was a cool experience.”

“It would have been cooler it if were 100 point totality,” said sophomore Bella Montefalco. In Indianapolis, the coverage was about 91 percent.

Senior Ryan Dubbink said, “It’s pretty cool to see the whole school come out and watch this.”

Dubbink’s classmate, Seth Bolden, described the eclipse as “really cool. It just shows that nature has so much to offer.”

But perhaps theology teacher Mr. Matt Cannady said it best. He said he viewed the eclipse as “God’s glory manifested.”