Multicultural assembly scheduled for March 16

Event begins at 9:15 a.m. in the Welch Activity Center

Gretchen Bowers

Mr. Ken Barlow and several students have planned the March 16 diversity assembly. Barlow participates in a Black History Month event that took place earlier this school year.

Just before St. Patrick’s Day, the student body recognizes cultures seen world wide. This assembly takes place March 16 from 9:15 to 10:15 a.m. This event is coordinated by Vice President for Community Relations and Diversity Mr. Ken Barlow.

In previous years, performances came from African drum corps and a Chinese dragon celebration demonstration. This assembly is meant to enlighten students regarding customs and traditions that may differ from their own.

Barlow wrote in an email, “I solicit the help of our diverse student body, faculty, staff and alumni to educate our school about the variety of cultures that don’t ordinarily get recognized. This year the school will witness a diverse group of speakers and dance entertainers representing Mexico, Pakistan, Italy, China, Ireland, India and a host of Latino countries. The most rewarding and fascinating part about the assembly this year is that most of the presenters are from the Cathedral family. The multicultural assembly is my effort to illuminate a vital part of our Holy Cross core value (of) inclusiveness and diversity. ”

During the lunch portion of the allotted time, food comes out. The world language department provides that. Each language class is encouraged to participate. Students in each language bring in treats for the school to enjoy. The treats reinforce a theme with the culture of each student’s language.

March 16 will officially be a day of diversity. Not only will students be able to participate in a cultural assembly recognizing several cultures, they will also partake in these cultures through their  cuisine.