Inaugural euchre tournament starts March 8

126 students and educators sign up to club each other

Ashlynn Bakemeyer

The winner of the euchre tournament will be presented with this traveling trophy.

While Instagram, TikTok and Snapchat dominantly fill any gap of free time for many students, a new pastime activity is starting to emerge — euchre. 

French teacher Mr. Gary Spurgin, along with English teacher Mrs. Kim Carver and science teacher Mrs. Dawn Gilmore, will moderate a euchre tournament that is taking place on the Hill. 

Spurgin said that the tournament is an event in which students and educators can play euchre and become campus champions. He said, “The tournament is based on the college basketball March Madness tournament.”

The tournament begins on March 8 and the championship will be played on March 16. All of the matches will be played on the Hill. Spurgin said, “Teams will decide when and where they will play their games.”

There are about 126 students and educators who have signed up for the tournament. Spurgin said, “There are two sides to the bracket. One side is for students and the other side is for educators. The final euchre match will be between the winners of these two brackets, the student bracket and the educators bracket. The winning team will be presented with a large euchre tournament trophy which will have the names of the winners engraved. This is to be a rotating trophy from year to year.”

This tournament is new on campus. Spurgin said, “The idea came out of the senior retreats, which took place this year. During some of the free time on retreat, several students were playing euchre, and I asked them if they would be interested in starting a Euchre Club at school and the answer was ‘yes.’ Thus, the Cathedral Euchre Club was born. The students have been a great inspiration for this event.”

Anyone involved should look for more information as the tournament begins via announcements and email.

Spurgin said, “I think it will be fun to see all of the teams competing and having a fun time during the month of March. I hope that it will be somewhat of a stress reliever for many. I am really looking forward to seeing the final game between the students and the educators. It should be something that everyone at school will not want to miss.”