Students play key role in annual Trivia Night

Annual event takes place in person with social distancing

Photo submitted

For service hours, several seniors volunteered their time at the annual Trivia Night fundraiser.

After so many digitized events, an in-person Trivia Night that took place on April 23 marked a step toward normalcy. And with a return to physical space comes a return to physical volunteers. 

To fulfill last minute service hour and National Honor Society requirements, seniors filled the role of servers, bussers and runners throughout the evening affair, which raised funds for the school.

Senior Toby Bradshaw said, “I helped serve drinks to all the tables and then collected the answer sheets at the end of each round.”

Senior William Teasley joined Bradshaw and said, “It was really fun hanging out with (the other volunteers) and with our teachers and listening to music.” Unlike the music featured at prom the next day, most of the tunes were “oldies from the ’70s and ’80s” said Teasley. 

Students were also able to find their own entertainment. Bradshaw said, “It was also fun to work the event because we could play along with the trivia in our small groups of volunteers.” Olympic trivia was especially popular among Bradshaw’s group, he said. 

For the adults playing along, Bradshaw said, “It looked like a lot of fun for those attending. All the team costumes were really well thought out.” While the image of the Irish may largely consist of students and teachers, events like Trivia Night give that vision a bit more depth.

Senior Rory Fitzgerald said, “I got a feel for the true Cathedral parent body because of how everyone was able to let loose a little. I felt like it was a great way to feel connected not only to my fellow students but also the adults in the Cathedral family.”

Mrs. Michelle Rhodes ’01 Taylor, who serves as the school’s senior director of advancement, said about 300 guests attended the event. She said the funds generated by Trivia Night would be used to support tuition assistance, classroom equipment, teacher development, athletics and other areas where the need is great. Taylor noted that this year proceeds also will support the Pride of the Irish band. As of April 28, Taylor did not have the final dollar figure that was raised.