Black History Month program scheduled for Feb. 18

Event will start at 7 p.m. and will be virtual

This image has been used throughout Black History Month on campus to promote diversity and social justice.

The Black History Month Program, themed “Brighter Days Ahead When We Stand Together,” will be hosted by the Black Alumni Council and the Office of Community Relations and Diversity and will take place virtually on Feb. 18 at 7 p.m.

“(We) invite the entire Cathedral community to attend. The purpose is to, of course, celebrate Black History, (but) specifically we celebrate current Cathedral Black seniors as tomorrow’s leaders and Cathedral Black alumni (with the) Trailblazer Award,” said Vice President for Community Relations and Diversity Mr. Ken Barlow ‘82.

In previous years, the program has taken place in the theater and the dinner in the Shiel Student Life Center; however, due to Covid guidelines, an in-person celebration will have to wait another year.

Along with awarding students and alumni with the Tomorrow’s Leaders Award and Trailblazer Award as Barlow mentioned, the program also will include the William Violet Leadership Award to senior recipients. Barlow said, “The qualifications include seniors who identify as African American with a minimum GPA of 3.5 for (the) Tomorrow’s Leaders (Award). Secondly, for the Trailblazer (Award), we take recommendations for distinguished Black alumni who have achieved in their professional field, and the Black Alumni Council generally selects two recipients from the pool of recommendations.”

Finally, Barlow said, referencing the William Violet Award winners, recipients are generally male and female winners who are voted on from the pool of Tomorrow’s Leaders Award recipients by the school counselors. 

From their vantage point, the William Violet Award winners exemplify leadership, integrity and school connectivity in the spirit of Cathedral, Barlow added.

For anyone interested in watching the event, registration is available on the school’s website and a Youtube link will be sent prior to the celebration. Barlow said, “I am looking forward to everyone joining in and enjoying this wonderful presentation as we celebrate Black history in the spirit of Cathedral High School.”