Sophomores invited to virtual Christmas party

Event will take place on Zoom on Dec. 17

Screen capture

Information sent to members of the Class of 2023 promotes the virtual Christmas party on Dec. 17.

During these months of virtual learning, many can feel isolated and during a holiday season that has always brought great joy. Latin teacher and Sophomore Class co-moderator Mr. John Streiff ’09 hopes to brighten these students’ spirits by helping put together the Hill’s very first sophomore Christmas party.

This completely new event takes place Dec. 17 from 2:30 to 3 p.m. According to Streiff, this half hour party is “not too long because we’re all tired of being on Zoom.”

Jam-packed with fun and games, this event will include several competitions beforehand. Sophomores can put their cookie-baking skills, tree-decorating prowess, childhood Santa pics and ugly sweaters to the test against their fellow classmates. The winners will be announced at the party. “I look forward to seeing the creativity,” Streiff said.

During the event, sophomores will be able to get in the spirit with Christmas karaoke and holiday trivia on Kahoot! or GimKit.

This is a party with a purpose.

“Our goal for the sophomore Christmas party was to provide some kind of space for sophomores to get together, even if it’s virtual, especially because sophomores can’t drive,” Streiff said. While many seniors and even juniors who have licenses can get together often, it’s harder for most sophomores to meet up. With the help of a little well needed holiday cheer, these students have an avenue to connect with their friends and enjoy at least a sliver of normalcy.

Streiff still encourages students to fill out the Google form that they received in their school email and RSVP. “We hope as many sophomores show up as (possible),” Streiff said.

Although this party was undoubtedly a result of the pandemic, Streiff said he thinks there’s a chance it will live on in Christmas future. “That’s how it always starts here. It’s just one little thing and people like it and it keeps going,” said Streiff. He hopes this will help the Class of 2023 find peace and tranquility during an uncertain and tumultuous time.

“The purpose of the whole thing is to bring the sophomores together and provide some unity when we’re so split apart,” Streiff said.