Second semester will start online on Jan. 5

Professional development, not classes, now set for Jan. 4

Cathedran file photo

Empty parking lots will be the norm during summer break.

In the past, first semester classes met during a half day in January, but this year, that will not be the case. Principal Mrs. Julie Barthel has announced that Jan. 4 will be a professional develop day for teachers, with second semester classes starting online on Jan. 5 and continuing online until classes can meet in person on campus on Jan. 19.

In November, the school was mandated to move online instruction due to an order from the Marion County Public Health Department, but the administration plans for a return to the Hill with in-person instruction on Jan. 19.

According to the Vice Principal for Academics Mr. Mark Matthews, the school is prepared whether that the instruction starting on Jan. 19 will be in class or on Zoom. Matthews wrote in an email, “Cathedral is positioned to move back to in-person learning as soon as Dr. Virginia Caine from the Marion County Public Health Department lets us know that such a move is possible. We have been very flexible this year when we’ve had to pivot to online learning, and we have plans in place to return when Dr. Caine deems it safe to do so.”

Matthews said, “As with all things Covid-related, these things are subject to change. For example, we have been given permission for small groups of students to be on campus to receive instruction, participate in clubs or other academic activities as well as continue sports workouts and competitions. Fortunately, we are not currently in a lock down or shelter in place order as we were last spring.”

The administration’s decision to return to in-person learning was made in conjunction with Dr. Caine and Indianapolis Mayor Mr. Joe Hogsett. Matthews wrote, “Cathedral is obliged to follow their directives, so we have to consult with the mayor and Dr. Caine whenever we make decisions.” These consultations, also involving Barthel, often occur over Zoom.

Matthews wrote, “In addition, we work with Mrs. Mary McCoy, interim superintendent of Indianapolis Archdiocese schools, to make decisions that align with what other Catholic schools in the archdiocese are doing.” Subsequently, the school is in contact with administrators from schools that include Brebeuf Jesuit, Bishop Chatard and Roncalli.