Food drive extra credit to be applied second semester

Numerous agencies benefit from students’ donations

Cathedran file photo

Math extra credit from the canned food drive that would have gone toward first semester finals now will be applied to second semester finals.

The annual canned food drive had to make changes this year due to Covid-19 but was still a success, according to religion teacher and Student Council co-moderator Mr. Ed Freije ’99. 

And with those changes including going to online instruction and having no first semester finals, extra credit as of now will be applied to second semester math finals, according to math teacher Mrs. Lisa Ford.

Freije said, “Cathedral makes an impact just like with anything else. Helping people providing for people is such a huge part of who we are, who we are as people, who we are as citizens of the world trying to provide food and nourishment to those in need.”

The food drive helped many different agencies, while some food stayed on campus for the school pantry. Other agencies that benefited are Little Sisters of the Poor, Mid-North Food Pantry, Boulevard Place Food Pantry, St. Louis de Montfort Food Pantry, Providence Cristo Rey Food Pantry, The Lord’s Pantry at  Anna’s House, St. Vincent DePaul Food Pantry and Holy Cross Catholic Outreach. 

In past years the food drive took place in the cafeteria, but now that the cafeteria is  classrooms, the food drive took place in the WAC lobby. Freije said even though the collection location changed, the process worked pretty well. This year there were also no county points counted or dress down days, because classes have shifted to online. 

Students were given extra credit by the math department for bringing in donations. Students were to receive points added to their final exam score, but now that finals will not take place this semester, how those extra credit points will be given has not been determined. As of Nov. 13, Freije did not have a final total on the number of cans donated or the amount of money raise.

Freije said the math department has helped a great deal by providing extra credit and checking in cans. Student Council, c0-moderators, Mrs. Kim Jamell, Mr. Matthew Cannaday and Mrs. Maribeth Cloud ’86 also all participated in running the food drive. Mrs. Shannon Fox ’80 and Ford helped with behind the scenes organizing. Mr. Rick Shadiow collected all the tally forms and determined the final amount collected.