Blessing of the Animals to take place Oct. 5

Celebration will be live at 11:15 a.m. for the first 300 viewers

Cathedran file photo

Fr. Jeff Godecker celebrates a school wide Mass last year in the Welch Activity Center.

On Oct. 5 at 11:10 a.m., a Blessing of the Animals will be provided virtually. 

Assistant campus minister Mrs. Sara Bozzelli-Levine said, “It will be a brief blessing and it will be recorded if students want to join later.” Bozzelli-Levine added that the Zoom will allow only the first 300 viewers. 

Fr. Jeff Godecker will celebrate the event from the school’s chapel. Bozzelli-Levine said, “Fr. Jeff will give a brief tribute to St. Francis and at home we can have our pets online to receive the virtual blessing.”

The Blessing of the Animals is being celebrated in light of the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi. Bozzelli-Levine said since Oct. 5 fell close to the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi that “it seemed like a perfect time” to have the blessing. Bozzelli-Levine said, “I think it’s important to know how St. Francis of Assisi is beloved by people of many different faiths. He loved God and in true humility he served others. He celebrated nature and loved animals.”

Bozzelli-Levine said the link to the Zoom is accessible through the student newsletter and the the daily announcements.

The link is also provided here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89792643535?pwd=aHpQTG9wakNPbCtSdW1XaXBDeFpEdz09