Deadline to register to vote is Oct. 5

Social studies teacher provides overview of process

The deadline to register to vote is Oct. 5, and social studies teacher Mrs. Jill Twilleager explained the options for students to do so. 

Those who are eligible can either register in person or online.

If they want to go in person, Mrs. Jill Twilleager, social studies teacher and We the People coach, said, “Go to the (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) and get registered. Also, students can go to the county clerk’s office and register for voting there.”

If they want to register online, they should go to the Indiana voters website and click on the tab that reads “Register to Vote.” 

In order to register, they’ll need their driver’s license or their state identification card. Without it, they won’t be able to register. A high school ID is not valid for the purposes of registering to vote or for voting. 

After registering, voters may request an absentee ballot, or they can vote in person. If students go to this site, they’ll find both a list of eligible reasons for getting an absentee ballot and where to apply.

Twilleager said, “You must request one by Thursday, Oct. 22. It must be received in the mail by Tuesday, Nov. 3 (at noon).”

Individuals who vote in person should expect some changes. Masks are required and people must socially distance at all times. Also, voting machines will be wiped down after each person uses it to limit the spread of Covid-19. 

If they are a first time voter, Twilleager said, “Check who is on your ballot before you go. Educate yourself before voting. Be sure to take your driver’s license or state identification card.”

Voters should also expect long waits on Election Day on Nov. 3, so be patient. The polls are open that day from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.